Sunday, September 7, 2014

I Walk the [Equator] Line

Quito, with an elevation of 9,350 feet, is the second highest capital city in the world. No wonder I got altitude sickness upon arrival. Luckily, I was good to go the next day and ready to take care of some errands. First, we took our laundry to be done, which means we're currently averaging one laundry day per month. Next we made it to a local clinic to get Phill's stitches out. Surprisingly, the whole visit lasted less than 10 minutes. I also got a new swimsuit, since my last one broke after cliff diving in Mocoa. Trust me, it is pretty difficult to find a swimsuit that a) is in new condition and b) doesn't have something tacky like "flirty" written on it. 

Plaza Grande

After walking around town for a bit, we decided to get drinks and catch a movie. We hadn't seen a movie in a theatre in ages and settled for a film with Robin Wright, who is perfection in House of Cards. Let me warn you; Adore was uncomfortably provocative and awkward.  This disaster probably could've been avoided with a quick online search, but that's what happens when you live spontaneously. At least it was ladies night so my ticket was heavily discounted. 

There is a wall like this in Madrid too

Two for one margs

We also took one of the best free walking tours I've ever been on in Quito. Not only do you hear a brief history about the old town, but you also get mini tours on trades vital to Ecuador's economy. I highly recommend it!

Changing of the guard each Monday at 11am

With horses too

Chocolate demo with the best guide, Ovi

Had to capture these abstract banners

Stopped at this candy shop for a quick break

Homemade sweet and savory snacks

The next day we explored the two-story market where you can buy almost anything. We got a tasty breakfast for only $1.50 each! Yes, here in Ecuador, the local currency is the U.S. dollar. However, $1 coins are much more prevalent. 

So much fruit

I couldn't resist ordering a juice

Orange and carrot

And of course, we couldn't leave Quito without visiting the true equator at the Intiñan museum.

Quintessential tourist pic

Seeing the Coriolis effect

Balancing an egg on a nail is supposed to be easier here

Boom!

Equator ✅


1 comment:

  1. I'm so happy you guys have a blog!! It looks like your trip is amazing!!! :)

    ReplyDelete